Skip to main content

Not Yet

“Not yet”… that’s what we heard again this week. We learned yesterday that Reid did not get the exception points that we applied for on the liver transplant list. One more set-back. I really felt like we were on a forward track, and that he would get the points. I mean, the doctor pretty much guaranteed us it would happen. So we’re disappointed. We had all of our plans set, as much as possible, but of course we go back to Plan B once again. Honestly, I’m not totally devastated. At least not today. I’m disappointed. And aggravated. But I think I’ve become a little immune to set-backs at this point. I think if this would have happened 3 years ago, I would have had a total meltdown. But not now. I guess I can be thankful for the fact that the last couple of years have made me tougher, and I am more able to roll with the punches.

So where does this put us? Honestly, we’re not sure. The transplant coordinator has said that they are going to try to reapply, but unless Reid’s condition changes, I don’t know that they’ll award the points. You may be thinking “If they didn’t give him the points, maybe his condition isn’t so bad”… yes and no. Yes, his liver really isn’t in bad shape. But the bile ducts in his liver are (the scoring system for the list doesn’t measure the bile ducts). And his chances of developing cancer in his bile ducts (Cholangiocarcinoma) remain high. And his chances of developing cholangitis, which he’s been hospitalized for twice this year, are high. So it’s now become a “wait and see” game. We wait and see how his bile ducts hold up and hope he gets a liver sooner than we think. As far as his quality of life… he’s still working, just tired all the time. He itches like a meth head (seriously, he wakes me up in the middle of the night scratching), he gets pains in his abdomen off and on (which is probably related to his Ulcerative Colitis), and lately he has been getting pretty bad dark circles and sunken-in eyes. But overall, he’s not in terrible shape.  

Now we go to Plan B… finishing IVF. Next week I start stimming (hormone injections) in order to hopefully get some good embryos to freeze. Our original plan was to just freeze the embryos, and then transfer them into my uterus after the liver transplant. But now we will plan on transferring sooner rather than later. I’ll do a whole separate post about IVF and the protocol that we’re following. But this is what we're doing - moving forward. I’m tired of waiting on the “perfect timing”, because that perfect timing never seems to work out for us! So while we wait, we will move forward with the rest of our plans and try to focus on the now!


I’ve heard a couple of times in the last day, “God will take care of the timing, He has a plan”. And yes, that’s true. But I’m so freaking tired of waiting to see what that plan is!! 

Comments

  1. Pooja Roy Like To Read your Post Because Your Post Is very interesting thank you so much give us information keep posting good luck ……………….
    Call girls in delhi
    aerocity escorts
    Independent escorts in gurgaon
    Call girls in dwarka
    High Profile Escorts in Delhi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cholangiocarcinoma and the Fight for a Liver

2:00 in the morning, and I’m wide awake. Let me tell you something about myself… I very very rarely have issues sleeping. Like I can count on one hand the times that I haven’t been able to sleep through the night. I’m that person that will wake up, roll over, and go straight back to sleep. But tonight I’m wide awake.
Today was a rough day.
Hell, the last two weeks have been rough.
My husband is believed to have cancer. In the bile ducts. Which is the thing that we’ve feared the most over the last four years. And the worst part? They can’t even prove it with biopsies, because it’s that far into his bile ducts, and that hard to detect. Our saving grace was always, “if he gets cancer, as long as we catch it in time, we’ll be able to automatically get exception points on the transplant list, and that will move him up the list quickly.”
But we can’t even do that. I feel stuck. And afraid.
Two weeks ago, Reid had a Spyglass (ERCP) procedure because his Houston transplant team noticed …

The Story of our First Potential Living Donor

I am so excited to share the story of our first potential living donor with you. The conversations with this guy, and the selflessness of his offer, have touched our hearts in so many ways.
In January of this year, I woke up to a Facebook message from a high school friend, Desmond Parker. And I laid in bed crying as I read it. He couldn’t sleep the night before and decided to re-activate his Facebook account. The first thing he saw in his timeline was a blog post that I’d written with an update on Reid’s health. And something in him said “I need to help”. He spent the next hour or so researching living donor transplants before messaging me, and he “couldn’t find a reason why NOT to do it.” His message said that he wanted to be tested to see if he was a match for my husband.
Y’all, I hadn’t talked to this guy in several years. He had never met my husband. He felt no obligation to us other than we had a need, and he wanted to help (cue the tears). Dez checked all of the boxes on pape…

The Outcome of our 1st Embryo Transfer

On June 14th, we went in for our first ever embryo transfer. Since we weren’t PGS testing this time, our doctor suggested we go for a day-5 fresh transfer. We agreed that we would make a game-time decision as to whether we would transfer one or two. And we ended up transferring two morula embryos.
Since that day our emotions have been up and down. I started out being so optimistic and surprisingly calm (so calm that Reid felt he needed to be the nervous wreck to counterbalance). I was quite confident this would work, and we’d be celebrating a pregnancy soon.
Our doctor’s office had me come in last Monday (4 days past transfer) to check my progesterone and estrogen levels (both hormones they have you take to better the chances). Levels came back within normal range, and I was so happy to see that (we almost always have to add more hormones during any pregnancy). On Thursday of that same week, however, it was a different story. My hormone levels dropped and the doctor wanted me to st…